5.12.2011

A Pachyderm of Elephants


The knitting bug has me making monsters lately. I am in love with Rebecca Danger's monster patterns which can be found on her blog and also in a book The Big Book of Knitted Monsters. Moving on from monsters, I made a vintage shawl from Knitty redesigned by Franklin Habit. This lead to discovering another redesigned pattern from Mr. F. Habit. I also discovered a new, well, habit. ELEPHANTS!!
Not only does this fit in well with my current circus mania (Yes, I have read Water for Elephants. Yes, I have seen the movie. I have mixed reactions to it) but I realized I have seven different elephant patterns in my possession. So, why not knit them all in a row?
I am starting with Flo. It's done in pieces then seamed up. Normally I dislike seaming, especially garter. But this critter is too cute not to knit. I chose Imperial Stock Ranch Columbia in gray pearl. It was given to me by Nina at the knitting shop I work at. Unsure if I was going to have enough to complete the project, I decided on a contrast belly and foot pads. That is going to be Madelinetosh Merino in the color ginger. Already done with the two sides, I am starting the underbelly today.
After Flo gets blocked, seamed and embroidered here are the next canadites to go on the needles.....
  • Elijah designed by Ysolda Teague, yarn to be used: Madelinetosh DK in Wash
  • Esther designed by Rebecca Danger, yarn to be used: The Wool Dispensary in emerald
  • Reversible Lion & Elephant by Susan B. Anderson, yarn: TBD
  • Pepto designed by Anna Hrachovec, yarn to be used: Lion Brand Home Spun
  • Elefante designed by Susan B. Anderson, yarn to be used: Malabrigo Scraps
  • Elephant designed by Chris de Longpre, yarn to be used: Blue Sky Suri Merino
While there are lots more elephant toys, tea cozies, hats and puppets out there (A quick ravelry search yielded 9 pages) these are the patterns I own and deem worthy of this side project. Now off to knit.... I better get crackin' on these elephants if I want to finish them all.





1 comment:

Theresa said...

Can't wait to see the finished products!