3.03.2012

Monkeys Pay Tribute



The sudden death of Davy Jones has made me and Ginevra melancholic. I watched the antics of The Monkees growing up over bowls of cereal before walking to school. At drama camp in high school I bonded with friends over the songs Listen to the Band, Daydream Believer and yes even the movie Head. He might not have been my first crush in the band but he was a Monkee and now that part has departed.


In slightly unrelated news I am in charge of running a knit along for monkeys in honor of Malabrigo March over on Ravelry. Every March the group hosts this event where you put as many projects (in Malabrigo yarn of course) on your needles. Since I already have numerous languishing UFOs (some which can be viewed over at The Wool Dispensary blog), I decided for once in my life to be conservative.




This is some of what I plan to knit. A short sleeve sweater, a color work hat with matching mittens, monster or two, a cowl and a couple of monkeys. Someone smarter than me in the KAL thread I started said she was going to name her monkey Davy Jones. Her idea sparked in me the desire to knit mine a hat a la Mike Nesmith. W.H. Woolhat the monkey at your service! With my needles patiently clicking away, I say Happy March! And rest in peace Mr. Davy Jones. You gave me many happy memories. Thank you.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

I instantly thought of you when I heard -- I remember your Monkees lunchbox in high school. Glad you're able to do a tribute.